This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
It’s 9:00 on Sunday morning and you just realized you haven’t made anything for the after-church potluck today.
You contemplate stopping at the bakery on your way to church and serving a perfect-looking Boston Creme Pie on your grandma’s fancy platter. No one would be the wiser, right?
But, you’d rather make something homemade.
Digging through the pantry, you take stock of your sad assortment of pasta, neglected Shredded Wheat, a bag of chocolate chips and stockpile of tomato sauce you bought on sale and wonder what on Earth you could throw together and still have time to wash your hair (for the first time all week). Sound familiar?
Enter 5 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars! You probably have these ingredients lying around. And if you don’t, I guess you *could* get really creative with that pasta and cereal but I wouldn’t suggest it. Looks like you’ll be stuck making that bakery run because it doesn’t get much easier than this!
You may not have time to make actual chocolate chip cookies and still get everyone to church on time, but you can throw these together in five minutes and they might even be cool before you run out the door – with clean hair and all. 🙂
•1 yellow cake mix
•1 stick of butter
•1 package of chocolate chips
•1 teaspoon of vanilla
Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and use your stick of butter to grease a 9×13 baking pan. (I don’t like to use cooking spray- it gunks up all my pans and they say it’s not too healthy either! I’ll take my chances with butter.) Then melt the butter in the microwave in a large glass bowl.
Add the package of cake mix into the same bowl and stir with a large spoon or spatula. Then add the 2 eggs and vanilla and stir some more.
Most of the versions of this recipe I’ve seen omit the vanilla but I really think it makes it more chocolate-chip-cookie-ish. So throw it in there if you have some but yes, if you don’t have vanilla it can totally be four-ingredient cookie bars.Last, stir in your bag of chocolate chips. Transfer to your baking pan and spread the mixture evenly in the pan.
Bake at 350 for approximately 20 minutes. Let cool and cut into squares. Enjoy!
5 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 package of chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use a stick of butter to grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- Melt the stick of butter in the microwave.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cake mix, butter, eggs and vanilla. Add chocolate chips last, stir until combined.
- Spread mixture evenly in bottom of baking pan.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes at 350. Let cool, cut into bars and serve!
You Might Also Like:
• Free Printable: Ultimate School Lunch Planner
• A Completely Basic Guide to Creating a Weekly Meal Plan on a Budget (free printables included)
• 7 Irresistible Cold Weather Comfort Food Recipes
• 5 Easy Ways to Save $100 (or more) on Groceries This Month